Lady Falcon Travelers

Dutch Design Leather Est 2013

I must admit, I’m not the most structured costume maker in the world, on the contrary I tend to get distracted easily. I like to go where the flow of my thought takes me. I think that’s how my creative process works best. In the end it all seems to come together though and I even get done what I set out to do. Though that surprises me at times. Here’s a little example of how one thing can lead to another.

dinner dress front

100_5728

After making the corset, chemise and drawers I thought about what dress I wanted to make for my next EFF event. I bumped into a beautiful dinner dress in de Metropolitan museum ad figured I would try to make that one.

dinner dress side
I found some nice fabrics that were acceptably priced, but still very pretty. Some Bordeaux red, black shot, poly taffeta (embroidered and plain), a brocade cotton satin and some trims.

stoffen
Somehow I felt the satin would make a beautiful corset and since I had ordered an Edwardian corset pattern from Sylphe corsets, I decided I would make a corset with it.

atelier sylphe corset ref W croquisatelier sylphe corset ref W croquis bis 

While waiting for everything to arrive, I got distracted by thinking about the accessories for my dress. Since I allways wear a keychain attached to my pants, I felt a chatelaine would be the perfect thing to go with the dress and figured I would do something with that.

But when looking online I found them to be way too pricey… so why not make one. I spend a lot of time researching them and trying to find all the bits and bobs that I would need to make one.  
I found several pieces that together would make a nice chatelaine.   a skirt lifter:

100_5753

a dress clip, a little purse and an aide memoire:

100_5750100_5749 100_5748100_5747
As you can see in the last picture, I made a little pincushion from an old earing I never wear anymore.

100_5677

The next step would be to knit everything together. I didn’t have any experience in jewellery making, so I would have to practice with that.
I figured I would make a chatelaine for my daughter and “adoptive” daughter (long story =) ). It took a little practice, but it turned out really nice. Very christmassy I must add =).

chatelaine anne>

I also wanted to make a little Aide Memoire for their chatelaine. So I started researching little booklets and how to make those. I found all the information I needed online (now how did we do this before the internet???) and proceeded with making a booklet.

100_5722

And some more…

boekjes

boekje3

100_5728
100_5726

100_5755
And found a technique to apply aluminium foil to objects and age it, to make more booklets…

100_5751
And boxes… From this

100_5715100_5707 100_5737100_5732

to this

100_5744
And, well, what not , I still need a lot of Steampunk accessories, the sky is the limit they say =)…
Though that’ll be for another time.

Thank you for watching and have a nice day.

ps: This post was imported from my lifejournal blog about victorian costumes and corsets, as are the pictures.

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: